Malvern Auto Repairs - Car Services - Child & Baby Seat Services
Parents should choose the child or baby seat restraint that provides the highest level of protection and make sure it is fitted correctly by an Approved Fitter.
As both mechanics and parents, the approved RACV child and baby seat fitters at Malvern Auto Repairs see so many incorrect child or baby seat restraints (where the child is too young and/or too small for the child or baby seat restraint) fitted or a child or baby seat restraint being fitted incorrectly putting children in grave danger.
You should always select a child or baby seat restraint approved to the Australian/New Zealand Standard. These child or baby seat restraints will be marked with the Standards Australia 'tick-mark' and a statement of compliance.
Child or baby seat restraints are designed to match a child's height and weight. When you buy a child or baby seat restraint you need to consider:
* The size and weight of your child.
* If the child or baby seat restraint will fit in your vehicle.
* Avoid buying second hand child or baby seat restraints if possible.
* Keep your child in the most appropriate child or baby seat restraint suitable for their size and age and only move them to the next level of child or baby seat restraint when he or she no longer physically fits.
* Always follow the manufacturer's instructions when installing a child or baby seat restraint and placing your child in it. Incorrectly using a child or baby seat restraint or using a child or baby seat restraint that is not suitable for your child's size puts your child at a higher risk of serious injury or death.
* Only use a child or baby seat restraint when you know its history or if it has been obtained from a reliable source. Do not use it if it has been involved in a prang, has worn webbing (straps), bent, rusted or worn buckles, or the attachment points in the plastic shell are cracked or discoloured - from age or over exposure to the sun.